Thermal-imaging photography equipment is traditionally very expensive and highly complex, making it available to a very small slice of the photography enthusiasts. This has all changed, with Flir One, a portable and cost-effective accessory for the iPhone 5/iPhone 5s.
Exploring Thermal Imaging
Thermal imaging measures objects’ relative heat, showing the difference between hot and cold, even in pitch blackness. There are all manner of applications for this, from the purely aesthetic to the entirely technical.
Thermal Imaging Can Be Useful For:
- Plumbers looking to unclog pipes. Thermal imaging can reveal the exact point where hot water stops, showing where the pipes are clogged.
- A stud finder. The Flir One thermal camera can detect where studs start and stop, as wood absorbs heat differently than drywall or plaster.
- For computer technicians. Cooling is essential for computers to operate at maximum efficiency. Thermal imaging can detect how well your cooling systems are operating, to help you decide if you need to step up your cooling game.
- Artistic photography. In an age where it seems like we see so much of the same thing, the Flir One is an easy and guaranteed to have your snaps stand out from the rest. Transform your backyard into an alien planet, a fern frond into fine art, and your friends and family into unrecognizable glowing silhouettes.
- Making a movie about a trophy-hunting alien stalking a platoon of marines through the jungle with your iPhone 5.
Design & Aesthetic:
The Flir One is hardly bigger than a battery case. It measures 5.5 x 2.4 x 0.85 inches, and weighs 3.9 ounces. It comes with two components – the camera itself and a think case for your iPhone 5/5s. The case attaches easily, as does the camera, which effortlessly slides into a circular groove in the back. It’s very sleek and stylish, while retaining all of the high tech functionality of top-end gear.
Flir One can’t be used with the regular iOS camera app. It requires its own Flir One app, which is included for free with the camera, but will take up a bit of space on your iPhone.
- Thermal imaging technology tends to be very expensive. A lower-priced admission into the fascinating world of thermal photography is very welcome, indeed.
- The Flir One is very useful for a variety of practical tasks, from engineers to plumbers to contractors and construction workers.
- The Flir One will make your photography stand out from the rest!
- May still be prohibitively expensive for some.
- Only available for the iPhone 5/5s.
- Makes your iPhone slightly longer and heavier.
All in all, Flir One is a very cool accessory for people who are serious about their iPhone photography, and want to explore it for all its worth.
Do you need iPhone 5 repairs in Melbourne? Have a cracked screen or just general iPhone 5 repairs? iPhone repairs can be completed in 24 hours or less. Fill out this form to have your phone back to you even faster!