Battery replacement is the second most common iPhone 5 repair – second only to iPhone 5 screen repair. Although every iPhone battery has a limited lifespan, iPhone 5s purchased between September 2012 and January 2013, were particularly prone to battery failure. This caused Apple to announce its iPhone 5 battery replacement program, in 2014.
The offer was only valid for the two years following purchase, however, which would have only extended to the beginning of 2015. Apple graciously extended the offer to January 2016, which is right around the corner.
Apple believes that only a small number of handsets sold during that period were defective, they still extended the program.
How It Works
If you feel that your iPhone 5 may be eligible for the battery replacement program, and you’d like to seek a free battery replacement:
- Go to Apple’s official battery replacement website.
- Enter your handset’s serial number, which is located under the ‘Settings’ tab.
- If your iPhone 5 battery is eligible for free replacement, you can search here to find an Authorized Apple Service Provider, make an appointment at an Apple retail store, or contact Apple technical support through the submission form.
To prepare for iPhone 5 Battery Replacement:
- Backup your data with iCloud or iTunes.
- Turn off ‘Find My Phone‘.
- Erase your data and settings under Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings.
Eligibility may be limited to the country in which the handset was purchased. If you have already paid to have an iPhone 5 battery replaced, you can contact Apple to inquire about a refund.
Not eligible for the Apple iPhone 5 battery replacement program? Missed the deadline? Not to worry, we handle every type of iPhone 5 repair in Melbourne. Repairs can often be completed in 24 hours or less, with original manufacturers parts.